About Me

My photo
My name's Alison but for reasons too long to go into I'm known as Cockney Blonde or CB for short. I've been rubber stamping for several years but now spend most of my time either knitting or crocheting. However, with the advent of a New Year I have bitten the bullet and am tackling my usually hated pastime of sewing. I've even bought 'Sewing for Dummies' to guide me on my way. I've been with my hubby Dave for 24 years and between us we have 4 kids and 5 grandkids. We also have 2 cats and a dog, the latter features as my 'photo' image. I used to be able to blog daily but these days I struggle to blog weekly. Hopefully now we are settled into our new home in the country, I can get back to a daily (well almost) update from the room I now have to share with hubby. No more personal crafting space for me!!! Thanks to all the blogs and sites I follow for all your brilliant inspiration, and thank you to everyone who finds the time to comment on my blog.

Sunday 18 September 2011

Weekend At Burrs Country Park


Evening Peeps. We're home from our weekend away in our caravan at a beautiful site in the middle of Burrs Country Park in Bury. For all those caravanners out there I would recommend this as a place to stay. It is a well-maintained site and of course you've got the famous Bury Market nearby. The above photo shows the market place in days gone by. Aren't those trams fabulous.

These photos are all part of a display by Bury Council contained within sealed seating in the country park. The Country Park is the site of the old Burrs Mill and the cottages above would have been to house the mill workers. The area was actually home to 3 mills and part of the production was of cotton and then latterly paper and glue.

This is the old Burrs Mill from which the country park takes its name. Across from where we were standing was the old remnants of the Midden. For those who aren't sure what that is it was the old latrines which were available for the use of the cottage residents. There was a 'soil master' whose job it was at night to clear out the waste and take it for use as fertiliser. I'm so glad things have moved on, what a job!

This is another view of the chimney but this time after the mill had been demolished. The chimney, by the way is still standing.
 These last 2 piccies are self-explanatory but what a fab selection of images from the archives.
There's plenty to see on your walk around the Country Park, great for dogs, and there is an outdoor pursuits centre with kayaking. Of course there are a couple of brill pubs and we were lucky to be joined on the Saturday evening by my friend Neet of Hickydorums Blog and her hubbie Chas, and of course we had to try out one of the pubs....Yummy! Food to die for!

Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow with a card and don't forget my blog candy, x

4 comments:

  1. Fab pics, really enjoyed reading about the history ..... It look like one for my list of future days out, especially if you give me the name of the pub!!!!
    Love jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds like a brilliant break Alison, Im so pleased you had a good time
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,I love the photos black and withe,very beautifuls.Greats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab pictures Alison and what an interesting posting. It was great to see you all (and the dogs). Thanks for introducing me to something that is on my doorstep but never looked at before. We will be back (as soon as this blooming rain stops)to investigate Burrs ourselves.
    Hugs, Neet x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Your comments are really appreciated