About Me

My photo
My name's Alison but for reasons too long to go into I'm known as Cockney Blonde or CB for short. I've been rubber stamping for several years but now spend most of my time either knitting or crocheting. However, with the advent of a New Year I have bitten the bullet and am tackling my usually hated pastime of sewing. I've even bought 'Sewing for Dummies' to guide me on my way. I've been with my hubby Dave for 24 years and between us we have 4 kids and 5 grandkids. We also have 2 cats and a dog, the latter features as my 'photo' image. I used to be able to blog daily but these days I struggle to blog weekly. Hopefully now we are settled into our new home in the country, I can get back to a daily (well almost) update from the room I now have to share with hubby. No more personal crafting space for me!!! Thanks to all the blogs and sites I follow for all your brilliant inspiration, and thank you to everyone who finds the time to comment on my blog.

Sunday 10 February 2013

My First Ever Quilt


Well here it is. My first ever attempt at making a quilt. I won't go so far as to say quilting.....

It was easier than I thought but even so I made a few errors which I don't think affect the finished item but I will need to remember not to repeat them. I even went so far as to apply bias binding to the edges.
Here is a close-up of the centre panel. Aw....isn't it cute. Peter Rabbit and friends having fun. I hope this quilt will be as popular with a little boy as with a little girl. Should mention that it is being donated to Jozarty as part of her LilyBo campaign to collect handmade quilts for children with cancer.

Not being a needlewoman I am hopeless at buying material. My plan was to make the front using the Peter Rabbit material and back it with the green check..... Nah! Firstly the Peter Rabbit piece was too long in the wrong direction and secondly not big enough anyway. Then the green check wasn't as big as I thought...duh! So I used all the green check for the front with half the PR material as a centre piece and then backed it with some cream linen (I think) from handmade curtains that were never used. Whatever it is it's lovely and cosy.

I hope it receives lots of cuddles and helps to make a hospital stay more bearable for a little person.

Jo, I'll be in touch about getting this to you, x

3 comments:

  1. THank you TYTY so much Alison for joining in with the merry band of such generous stitchers, many, like you, had never made a quilt before and now are making them for family too.
    you have made such a lovely job of it and the fabric is perfect and so lovely.
    I look forward to seeing it and ten finding out where it's new home will be. Some little one will be so very happy.
    Love Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your quilt - you're becoming way too adventurous, lol. I used to make all my own curtains, a lot of my clothes and some of the boys' clothes - really must get my machine out... thanks for sharing, Alison. PS, your baking is making my mouth water xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the quilt Alison some child will love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Your comments are really appreciated