- cockney blonde
- My name's Alison but for reasons too long to go into I'm known as Cockney Blonde or CB for short. I've been rubber stamping for several years but now spend most of my time either knitting or crocheting. However, with the advent of a New Year I have bitten the bullet and am tackling my usually hated pastime of sewing. I've even bought 'Sewing for Dummies' to guide me on my way. I've been with my hubby Dave for 24 years and between us we have 4 kids and 5 grandkids. We also have 2 cats and a dog, the latter features as my 'photo' image. I used to be able to blog daily but these days I struggle to blog weekly. Hopefully now we are settled into our new home in the country, I can get back to a daily (well almost) update from the room I now have to share with hubby. No more personal crafting space for me!!! Thanks to all the blogs and sites I follow for all your brilliant inspiration, and thank you to everyone who finds the time to comment on my blog.
Friday, 21 February 2014
I found the pattern for these cute patchwork birdies in a recent copy of 'Love Patchwork and Quilting' magazine. I couldn't upload before as they were all for presents, the final one being delivered this week. Although I have to say the recipient, who is a BFF, loved it so much that she now wants a flock!!!!
Here are close-ups of the little cuties...
By the time I had reached the third one I had mastered the art of turning the teeny, weeny wing inside out so that the stitching wasn't on show.
I found fixing the wings to the body was easiest using my hot glue gun.
There are plenty more waiting to be sewn. Brilliant for using up all those pesky little fabric scraps.
Hoping to get some gardening done this next few days as #2 Son has come to stay...
Sunday, 16 February 2014
Below is a closer picture
This is it lying flat after being stitched on the seam. This cowl gave me the chance to practice knit and purl on the loom instead of the traditional wrap stitch
This is better though, my pal modelling it for the camera. I was under strict instructions not to get her face in the shot. Goodness knows why as she's a lovely looking lady. She was chuffed to little mint balls with it and wore it several times during our stay.
We had a lovely few days in Perthshire staying with our friends. Fortunately we left Cheshire just in time. I first realised there was a problem when friends were emailing and texting to ask if we were OK. Apparently the North West had been absolutely battered by a fierce storm which closed sections of 3 motorways and 2 bridges. Luckily it also meant we missed the 12 hour power cut. Our poor neighbours went to bed fully clothed to keep warm.
We had driven through some pretty heavy snow in the Scottish Borders but fortunately that was the only bad weather we saw.
Almost home yesterday and we saw big signs up saying that the Forest was closed due to storm damage. Then on arrival home we discovered the power cut had knocked our boiler out so the house was freezing. We eventually managed to sort the fault and warmth was resumed.
I should just say this is only a mini moan. This is nothing compared to what the people in Somerset and now the Thames Valley are going through and we consider ourselves thankful that we were not more seriously affected. I do hope that all those affected by the dreadful rains are back in their homes soon.
'til next time, x
Below is the button detail I added to each side at the base of the handles
Saturday, 8 February 2014
Now what's this? I hear you ask. Some boring old drawstring bag......
Hope you've liked todays offerings. Still more to come....x
Wednesday, 5 February 2014
Plenty more things have been getting made but I still can't share them with you until they are with their intended recipients.
'til next time, x
Saturday, 1 February 2014
At last, I made it to a meeting of the Victoria Stampers group. I can't remember the last time I went and to actually go and finish a project...yay!
Carol Clements of StampAttack was our tutor today and it was great to play and get messy and revisit techniques that I had long forgotten.
The covers (above and last picture) were made by embossing several layers of embossing powder, first clear and then coloured (I used 3) and finally some holographic. I created the pattern by stamping into the melted eps.