About Me

My photo
My name's Alison but for reasons too long to go into I'm known as Cockney Blonde or CB for short. I've been rubber stamping for several years but now spend most of my time either knitting or crocheting. However, with the advent of a New Year I have bitten the bullet and am tackling my usually hated pastime of sewing. I've even bought 'Sewing for Dummies' to guide me on my way. I've been with my hubby Dave for 24 years and between us we have 4 kids and 5 grandkids. We also have 2 cats and a dog, the latter features as my 'photo' image. I used to be able to blog daily but these days I struggle to blog weekly. Hopefully now we are settled into our new home in the country, I can get back to a daily (well almost) update from the room I now have to share with hubby. No more personal crafting space for me!!! Thanks to all the blogs and sites I follow for all your brilliant inspiration, and thank you to everyone who finds the time to comment on my blog.

Thursday 29 May 2014

Blists Hill Victorian Museum - Part 1

Afternoon Peeps. Here's the next batch of my photos from our short break in Shropshire. This is the Blists Hill Victorian Museum. Well, its actually a Victorian community depicting life in those times. The staff are dressed in costumes from the era and I have to say everyone seemed happy in their work. There was a lot of laughter to be heard.

It looks a little like a ghost town but that was because we got there for when it opened. It wasn't so quiet later on.
Does anyone remember their Mothers' or Grandmothers' having these stoneware jars in their pantry? I can remember the mincemeat one. Does that make me old???
 This was the pharmacy with all the lotions and potions on display.
The lady in the shop explained in days gone by both the dentist (below) and the optician would practice from the pharmacy. Everything contained under one roof.
Click on my photo below to enlarge and see what the postal rates were back then. I bet the service was more efficient too.
Finally, the village bobby was cycling down from the Doctor's house, seen at the top. He begged me to hurry up as he couldn't apply the brakes.......
I hope you've enjoyed this little snapshot into our visit. I'll share some more with you next time, x

1 comment:

  1. Oooo... I really MUST visit this place. I love anything to do with re-enactments and victoriana! Thanks for the trip!! Thanks also for your visit to my blog, (I couldn't reply personally as you came up as a no reply blogger). Take care xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Your comments are really appreciated